Bulgaria: Greener furniture for a greener future
Valiyan’s core business is manufacturing and constructional design of high-quality interior furniture, woodworking and carpentry. The company has had challenges with high production costs, limited facilities, damages, poor conditions and high costs. The production omitted a high percentage of CO2 and other emissions directly to the atmosphere.
A Zero Emission Factory concept
With support from the Business Development, Innovation and SMEs Programme in Bulgaria, Valiyan will create a Zero Emission Factory concept. The concept will reduce environmental impact and improve conditions.
The new facility adjust to the needs of Valiyan and turn it into an attractive working place. In the Zero Emission Factory concept, all inputs are considered valuable outputs, converted to final products or adding value to existing processes or opening to new business opportunities. The Zero Emission Factory increases the efficiency of the company operations.
Partnerships with International Development Norway AS
The Norwegian partner International Development Norway AS contributes with expertise to analyse the situation in the new production facility and provide with an action plan towards a zero waste and emission factory.
The project will establish a close-to-zero emissions furniture production facility, including central aspiration system, new roof system with hydro- and heat insulation; energy saving lighting; boiler for direct sawdust burning, filters for smoke and lacquer. It will establish 10 new jobs and have an important environmental impact.
Results of the project
- 500 l of diesel will be saved each year (not used anymore);
- Decreased CO2 emissions (with more than 2200 tones at the end of the project);
- Decrease of 6,76 tonnes of volatile organic compounds per year;
- 300 tonnes of dust per year will be burned and not go to landfill or to be dumped;
- Decrease in energy consumption for heating, lighting and production' less 207'520 kWh per year;
- Decreased air pollution from the lacquering and wood processing activities based on implementation of cyclone air filters.
The SMEs Growth Programme in Bulgaria
The project is supported by Norway through the Norway Grants. See more opportunities under the SMEs Growth Programme in Bulgaria.